FRIENDSHIP DAY9:26 PM
International Friendship Day celebrations take place on the first Sunday of August every year. The tradition of dedicating a day in honor of friends began in US in 1935.Gradually the festival gained popularity and today Friendship Day is celebrated in a large number of countries.On this day people spend time with their friends and express love for them. Exchange of Friendship Day Gifts like flowers, cards and wrist bands is a popular tradition of this occasion.
The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed the first Sunday of August as National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event.
Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends. Today, Friendship Day is enthusiastically celebrated by several countries across the world.
In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie the Pooh as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.
Many friends wish each other with exchange of gifts and cards on this day. "Friendship bands" are very popular in India and Nepal. With the advent of social networking sites, friendship day is also being celebrated online.The commercialization of the Friendship Day celebrations has led to some dismissing it as a "marketing gimmick".
Friendship Day History
There is not much literature on Friendship Day history as we celebrate today. However, there are numerous folktales and several instance in mythological legends that shows that friends and friendship have been valued since the beginning of civilized world. As an intrinsically social creature, men love to make friends to further this process of socialization.
History of Friendship Day in US
Considering the valuable role friends play in our life it was deemed to fit to have a day dedicated to friends and friendship. The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day. Since then, celebration of National Friendship Day became an annual event. The noble idea of honoring the beautiful relationship of friendship caught on with the people and soon Friendship Day became a hugely popular festival. Following the popularity and success of Friendship Day in US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends.
Today, Friendship Day is enthusiastically celebrated by several countries across the world including India.
In 1997, the United Nations named Winnie - the Pooh as the world's Ambassador of Friendship.
Friendship Day Quotes
- Feel the essence and worth of true friendship with these golden Friendship Quotes. Coming straight from the heart of some of the most celebrated writes, personalities and loyal friends, these soft and sentimental lines on friends and friendship will make you think more fondly about your friends.
"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."
- "True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- "Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- "My friends are my estate.
- "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
- "A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be anywhere else."
- "A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words."
- "A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself.
- "Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.Walk beside me and be my friend." "A hug is worth a thousand words. A friend is worth more."
- "Everyone is a friend, until they prove otherwise."